Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability
Eco Chemical™ has embraced sustainability and environmental stewardship since opening our doors in 1991. Our first big step was making a “no-exceptions” commitment to waterborne formulations for all our coatings products.
What is Environmental Stewardship?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency defines environmental stewardship as: “The responsibility for environmental quality shared by all those whose actions affect the environment.”
Fundamental environmental stewardship for manufacturers requires:
- Adhering strictly to the letter and the spirit of the laws defining environmental compliance
- Reducing or eliminating the discharge of toxic materials into the environment
- Conserving natural resources (water, fuel sources, trees, ores, and other raw materials)
- Reducing waste from manufacturing, packaging, and delivery of goods and services, and the resulting volume of waste flowing into landfills
Eco Chemical has made environmental stewardship part of our core mission, translated into action every day.
- Our waterborne technology eliminates VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions that solvent-based paints release into the atmosphere.
- Our coatings products clean up easily with soap and water, eliminating the risk of hazardous cleaning materials being discharged into sewer systems.
- Our manufacturing practices have reduced our discharges into the water supply to near zero – We reuse our wash water in our manufacturing process and capture the solids for appropriate disposal.
- Our products are highly concentrated and typically shipped in 275-gallon totes, conserving fuel and reducing emissions related to transportation.
- Our totes are returned by most of our customers and reused, eliminating the need for thousands of 55-gallon drums that would eventually end up in landfills.
- We can bulk-load raw materials directly from tanker trucks into mixing tanks to eliminate intermediate packaging waste while preventing possible spillage and storm water contamination.
- We continue to prioritize the goal of waste reduction in new product research and in our packaging choices.