Eco Chemical and the Environment
For over 20 years, Eco Chemical has practiced environmental stewardship by choosing to manufacture only waterborne, non-toxic paints and coatings. We have an impressive track record of helping our customers solve pressing environmental problems with our low-VOC, waterbased approach to paints and coatings.
- Manufacturing only waterbased, non-toxic paints and coatings with low to no VOCs (volatile organic compounds) released into the atmosphere. These paints and coatings clean up easily with soap and water; there are no hazardous substances discharging into sewer systems.
- Manufacturing highly concentrated stains and paints. Concentrated products save on packaging which would otherwise add to the waste stream going to the landfill. They also save customers shipping costs.
- Reducing packaging waste by implementing a recycling partnership with our pressure-treated lumber customers in the western U.S. Eco ships 275-gallon plastic totes filled with a 3:1, 4:1 or even 5:1 stain concentrate (representing 1,100 to 1,650 useable gallons of stain). Our customers use the 275 gallons and then return the empty totes to Eco. We thoroughly clean and refill the totes with another 275 gallons of stain, and ship them to our customers. Today we are circulating hundreds of totes throughout the western U.S. and Canada. That represents thousands of 55-gallon barrels per year that our customers don't pay for and that never end up in the landfill.
- Minimizing the discharge of wash water from manufacturing to the city sewers by re-using the wash water in our manufacturing process and capturing the solids for disposal in a solid waste facility.
- Continually striving to practice source reduction-removing waste in the manufacturing and distribution processes, before the product gets to the customer. Eco's most recent source reduction innovation is our new Eco Temp-Line Grass, a waterbased, ultra-concentrated, modified latex marking paint for natural grass fields. We have removed 75% of the water from Eco Temp-Line Grass and packaged the product in plastic bags shipped in a recyclable cardboard box. This eliminates the 5-gallon plastic pails which would otherwise go the landfill, reduces the environmental impact of shipping a 50-pound unit, and reduces shipping weight by 75%.